TUCSON, Ariz. — Officials and community leaders in Tucson are collecting donations for immigrant women and children from Central America.
The Arizona Daily Star reports that local and federal officials met Friday to discuss how to gather and distribute humanitarian aid to migrants in Tucson as well as in Nogales.
The newspaper reports that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has been leaving several hundred immigrants at a Tucson Greyhound station over the past three weeks.
Officials say most of them are Central Americans and Mexico who were apprehended in south Texas.
Councilwoman Regina Romero says the city is seeking which emergency shelters can take in women and children.
Bishop Gerald Kicanas says the community also is considering a shelter for migrant children currently detained in Nogales.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets