PHOENIX — As it turns out, Grand Canyon National Park isn’t just one of the eight wonders of the world.
According to U.S. News and World Report, it’s also one of the eight best family vacations in terms of affordability.
In fact, the Arizona treasure was ranked No. 1 on the list.
Home to more than 4.5 million tourists each year, the Grand Canyon doesn’t just offer picturesque views, a variety of hiking trails and white water rafting adventures. As the article details, it also has plenty of cheap options when it comes to sleeping, dining, driving and planning.
Bring your own bed. Hotel rooms inside the park can be pretty pricey. Instead, reserve a spot in one of the campgrounds or purchase a back country camping permit for a fraction of the cost.
Arrive fashionably late
If you’re set on a summer trip, you’ll have better luck finding deals on a place to hang your hat if you visit at the end of August.
Forget the car. You can save money on rentals, gas and parking by relying on the Grand Canyon’s free shuttle bus service. It’s the easiest way to explore the South Rim.
Grand Canyon Dining:
Many travelers prefer a quick meal at one of the on-site cafeterias in the South Rim, instead of an extended (and expensive) meal at one of the park’s restaurants. Whatever you do, avoid the food in the nearby town of Tusayan, Ariz.; recent travelers say that the city’s restaurants are particularly disappointing. In fact, many recommend packing lunches from local delis.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas