PHOENIX — As it turns out, Grand Canyon National Park isn’t just one of the eight wonders of the world.
According to U.S. News and World Report, it’s also one of the eight best family vacations in terms of affordability.
In fact, the Arizona treasure was ranked No. 1 on the list.
Home to more than 4.5 million tourists each year, the Grand Canyon doesn’t just offer picturesque views, a variety of hiking trails and white water rafting adventures. As the article details, it also has plenty of cheap options when it comes to sleeping, dining, driving and planning.
Bring your own bed. Hotel rooms inside the park can be pretty pricey. Instead, reserve a spot in one of the campgrounds or purchase a back country camping permit for a fraction of the cost.
Arrive fashionably late
If you’re set on a summer trip, you’ll have better luck finding deals on a place to hang your hat if you visit at the end of August.
Forget the car. You can save money on rentals, gas and parking by relying on the Grand Canyon’s free shuttle bus service. It’s the easiest way to explore the South Rim.
Grand Canyon Dining:
Many travelers prefer a quick meal at one of the on-site cafeterias in the South Rim, instead of an extended (and expensive) meal at one of the park’s restaurants. Whatever you do, avoid the food in the nearby town of Tusayan, Ariz.; recent travelers say that the city’s restaurants are particularly disappointing. In fact, many recommend packing lunches from local delis.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy