PHOENIX — As it turns out, Grand Canyon National Park isn’t just one of the eight wonders of the world.
According to U.S. News and World Report, it’s also one of the eight best family vacations in terms of affordability.
In fact, the Arizona treasure was ranked No. 1 on the list.
Home to more than 4.5 million tourists each year, the Grand Canyon doesn’t just offer picturesque views, a variety of hiking trails and white water rafting adventures. As the article details, it also has plenty of cheap options when it comes to sleeping, dining, driving and planning.
Bring your own bed. Hotel rooms inside the park can be pretty pricey. Instead, reserve a spot in one of the campgrounds or purchase a back country camping permit for a fraction of the cost.
Arrive fashionably late
If you’re set on a summer trip, you’ll have better luck finding deals on a place to hang your hat if you visit at the end of August.
Forget the car. You can save money on rentals, gas and parking by relying on the Grand Canyon’s free shuttle bus service. It’s the easiest way to explore the South Rim.
Grand Canyon Dining:
Many travelers prefer a quick meal at one of the on-site cafeterias in the South Rim, instead of an extended (and expensive) meal at one of the park’s restaurants. Whatever you do, avoid the food in the nearby town of Tusayan, Ariz.; recent travelers say that the city’s restaurants are particularly disappointing. In fact, many recommend packing lunches from local delis.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development