PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio plans to celebrate his 82nd birthday Saturday in fitting fashion.
Arpaio, his team of deputies and volunteer posse are going around the Valley knocking on doors to arrest any fathers who owe back child support pay.
The goal is to keep them behind bars for Father’s Day.
“We’re going to try to get as many as we can, we usually average every year around 500,” Arpaio told KTAR.
Arpaio noted that he’s been going after deadbeat parents for many years, but Saturday’s round up is special because it’s on his birthday.
“I work seven days a week,” said Arpaio. “This one happens to be on my birthday and what’s a better way to spend a birthday then try to send a message out there.”
His message is simple: ‘Surrender.’
The sheriff admitted that getting deadbeat parents in jail is a great combined birthday and Father’s Day gift, but added that he feels bad for children with parents who don’t pay child support.
“Kid are our future and you have to be responsible if you want to have kids,” said Arpaio. “The least you can do is pay your child support.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon