PHOENIX — Police are reportedly unable to help an Arizona girl who claims she is being impersonated online because it is not a crime in the state.
According to the New York Daily News, Gilbert residents, Reve Osheel, 12, and her mother, Brooke Barr, were shocked when they discovered someone had been pretending to be Osheel on Instagram.
Someone had taken enough of Osheel’s information and pictures to create a fake account and began sending nasty messages and comments to Osheel’s classmates.
Their nightmare took a turn for the worst when they were told that police couldn’t help.
Sgt. William Sanger of the Gilbert Police said, “It’s a pretty crappy thing to do, but it’s not criminal in nature.”
Arizona has yet to create a law that could prevent someone from making fraudulent accounts on social media.
Barr and Osheel were told that until one of the children targeted takes the account to authorities, the police cannot get involved.
The social media company has taken down the fake account and told Barr the only way they could reveal the face behind the account is through a search warrant.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them