PHOENIX — Demonstrators gathered in downtown Phoenix on Friday to call for American support in Iraq.
As the Iraqi capital city of Baghdad is threatened with being overrun by advancing Sunni insurgents, just a few short years after the United States returned control to the Iraqi government, fellow countrymen and women in Phoenix are calling for U.S. intervention.
“I want to see the peace come back to my country,” said Mohammed Al-Jamili, one of the demonstrators.
Al-Jamili said about 50 people showed up carrying signs, chanting and marching down Washington Street to the Sandra Day O’Connor Federal Courthouse building. They are asking for American assistance in combating the terrorist advances.
“What was the reason that the United States Army came to Iraq? To see a better country, to let the dictator go, so right now we have another problem (and) it’s terrorism,” Al-Jamili said. “Sure Saddam Hussein is gone, but someone else came…and probably we cannot face that alone.”
Al-Jamili said he and fellow demonstrators expect to hold more gatherings to continue to show support for their country and call for U.S. aid in the coming weeks.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food