PHOENIX — Demonstrators gathered in downtown Phoenix on Friday to call for American support in Iraq.
As the Iraqi capital city of Baghdad is threatened with being overrun by advancing Sunni insurgents, just a few short years after the United States returned control to the Iraqi government, fellow countrymen and women in Phoenix are calling for U.S. intervention.
“I want to see the peace come back to my country,” said Mohammed Al-Jamili, one of the demonstrators.
Al-Jamili said about 50 people showed up carrying signs, chanting and marching down Washington Street to the Sandra Day O’Connor Federal Courthouse building. They are asking for American assistance in combating the terrorist advances.
“What was the reason that the United States Army came to Iraq? To see a better country, to let the dictator go, so right now we have another problem (and) it’s terrorism,” Al-Jamili said. “Sure Saddam Hussein is gone, but someone else came…and probably we cannot face that alone.”
Al-Jamili said he and fellow demonstrators expect to hold more gatherings to continue to show support for their country and call for U.S. aid in the coming weeks.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.