PHOENIX — For years the downtown Phoenix area had a shortage of apartments. That is changing.
About a half-dozen projects were scheduled for the area this year, and they’ll add about 1,000 housing units.
Millennials are behind the push to fill up the downtown Phoenix area. Mike Misheski with Home Smart Realty said the area hit rock bottom in 2008 but has been coming back.
“Years ago downtown Phoenix was kind of a ghost town on the weekends and after 5 (p.m.). There wasn’t a lot going on and people went back home to the suburbs. People are coming back to downtown and I think that’s pretty cool.”
Fueling the rush in the downtown area has been a boom in restaurants, bars and hotels all within walking distance of homes and apartments. And living in the area saves a long ride in rush hour traffic during the commute because are working and living downtown.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.