PHOENIX — For years the downtown Phoenix area had a shortage of apartments. That is changing.
About a half-dozen projects were scheduled for the area this year, and they’ll add about 1,000 housing units.
Millennials are behind the push to fill up the downtown Phoenix area. Mike Misheski with Home Smart Realty said the area hit rock bottom in 2008 but has been coming back.
“Years ago downtown Phoenix was kind of a ghost town on the weekends and after 5 (p.m.). There wasn’t a lot going on and people went back home to the suburbs. People are coming back to downtown and I think that’s pretty cool.”
Fueling the rush in the downtown area has been a boom in restaurants, bars and hotels all within walking distance of homes and apartments. And living in the area saves a long ride in rush hour traffic during the commute because are working and living downtown.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development