PHOENIX — As the news of actor and comedian Tracy Morgan being seriously injured in a car wreck that allegedly involved a truck driver who was seriously fatigued at the time of the crash made national headlines, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said they put more than 150 drivers out of service for similar violations last week.
DPS Officer Carrick Cook said the agency took part in a nationwide operation called “Operation Roadcheck” that involved 60 DPS officers keeping an eye out for commercial vehicle violations along I-40 near Flagstaff, Ariz.
“We’re out there making sure that these drivers are driving the way they should be,” he said.
Officers pulled over and inspected 1,249 commercial vehicles looking for various violations, Cook said.
“Brakes not working, driving too long and right now that kind of the topic across the country is drivers driving for too long and being fatigued,” he said.
Cook said driving while tired is a serious danger to other drivers on the road, but even more so for commercial trucks.
“I think anybody that’s been behind the wheel and started to fall asleep — it’s scary,” he said. “But imagine having a vehicle that has 80,000 pounds of responsibility going down the road.”
Of the 1,249 vehicles inspected, Cook noted 164 drivers and 160 vehicles were taken out of service, many of those for exceeding the maximum number of hours allowed behind the wheel.
“These drivers want to put their pocket book in front of what right,” he said.
Operation Roadcheck was a national initiative that involved about 10,000 officers training in commercial vehicle inspection looking for violations across the country, according to a press release.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.