PHOENIX — It’s starting to look like Valley home prices aren’t likely to go up for the rest of the year.
For the second month in a row, the median price for a single-family home in the Phoenix area is sitting at just under $205,000.
Lower demand for homes is the reason. Michael Orr, director of the Center for Real Estate at ASU’s W. P. Carey School of Business, said that local home sales actually dropped 16 percent between April 2013 and one year later.
“We started slowing down from August onward last year,” Orr said. “We’ve now got to the point where the total number of sales for the year so far is the second-lowest since 1999.”
Orr said that two groups of people are driving the lower demand.
“One is those people who have been through a foreclosure or a short sale who have been locked out because of their credit being effected,” he said. “And then there’s the younger generation, particularly the Millennials between 20 and 30.”
Orr said the younger group is putting off a lot of major milestones until later in life, including buying a first home.
The supply of available homes in the Valley has increased of late. As of May 1, there were 73 percent more active listings in the Phoenix area than there were at the same time a year ago.
Despite the slowing of sales, Orr said that the Phoenix real estate market is healthy, and there’s little chance of a crash like that seen during the recession a few years ago.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development