PHOENIX — It’s been over 100 days since the Valley has had rain. In fact, there’s new information that the entire state badly needs some rainfall.
“Pretty much all of the state, except a very small piece of southern Coconino County, is in a drought condition,” said Arizona State climatologist Nancy Selover. “The little piece that’s not is in an abnormally dry condition.”
In fact, the U.S. Drought Monitor website says that the percentage of Arizona that’s in extreme drought more than doubled from 7 to 16 percent in the past week.
Selover said that Arizona had a very dry winter.
“Then the spring happened, and now we’re just getting hotter and drier with a lot of windy conditions, and that’s kind of exacerbated the situation of drying out the forests,” she said.
But Selover said she is optimistic that monsoon storms — and the rain that comes with them — might be just around the corner.
“We’ve seen the humidity start and the moisture start to move into the state,” Selover said. “That’s a good sign that we should be on target for our activity firing up around the first of July. Hopefully, that will be the case.”
She added that she hopes any upcoming thunderstorms don’t bring dry lightning with them, because that could lead to wildfires.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon