SALT LAKE CITY — A new Gallup poll says the majority of Americans don't identify as being overweight, despite health studies showing two-thirds of citizens are overweight or obese.
The poll asked a series of questions and 55 percent of Americans said they were “not overweight and not trying to lose weight,” according to the poll. Only 18 percent of people polled identified as “overweight but not trying to lose weight” and another 18 percent identified as “overweight and trying to lose weight.”
However, a recent study by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation found two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese. The study said 60 percent of women in the U.S. and 75 percent of men are overweight or obese.
The Gallup poll was conducted from 2011 to 2013 by telephone surveys and researchers found that women were more likely to say they were “somewhat” or “very” overweight than men. Of the people polled, 21 percent of women said they were overweight or trying to lose weight and only 15 percent of men said the same.
The poll also found that Americans 55 and older were more likely to identify as being overweight than people 18 to 35. Gallup summarized the poll by saying that Americans need to take a new approach to addressing the rising obesity epidemic.
“This discrepancy may suggest that addressing the obesity crisis in America must first start by convincing overweight Americans that they are indeed overweight,” the study read.
Faith Heaton Jolley is a UVU graduate and currently works at KSL as head writer for ksl.com and runs the Outdoors & Recreation section. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas