LAS VEGAS (AP) — A judge has ordered a competency evaluation for a Phoenix woman accused of throwing a shoe at Hillary Clinton while the former U.S. secretary of state addressed a convention audience in Las Vegas.
Alison Michelle Ernst’s lawyer sought the psychological exam after telling U.S. Magistrate Judge Peggy Leen that Ernst was unable to understand charges against her and assist in her defense.
Leen last week set a July 20 date to review exam results.
The 36-year-old Ernst had been set for trial this month after pleading not guilty to misdemeanor trespassing and violence against a person charges that could get her two years in federal prison.
Assistant Federal Public Defender William Carrico suggests that Ernst might have been legally insane when she threw an athletic shoe at Clinton in April.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick