PHOENIX — It’s a big sports day around the globe, as the World Cup soccer tournament gets underway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Thursday.
“It’s life and death for a lot of people, emotionally,” said Michael Dellorusso, the head coach of the Arizona United Soccer Club. “It’s a very exciting time around the world.”
But just how popular is the World Cup?
“I like to compare it to the Super Bowl and how big people think that is here,” Dellorusso said. “I would say the Super Bowl is about one-tenth of the World Cup, (regarding) what it means to people around the world.”
There will be some great teams to watch during the World Cup.
“Brazil, Spain and Germany are probably the three favorites,” said Dellorusso.
He said that Team USA has a chance for a good showing in the tournament.
“We have a great group of young guys and experienced guys,” Dellorusso said. “We have two out of the top five teams in the world in our group, with Germany and Portugal. I think it’s very important for us to get a result in the first game. Anything can happen from there on out.”
Dellorusso said that some new soccer stars will become stars in this tournament.
“The best part about a World Cup is that it’s when a lot of guys come out of their shell and a lot of new stars emerge,” he said.
Dellorusso also added that you don’t have to go all the way to Brazil to see some great soccer in person this week. At the Peoria Sports Complex on Saturday, the Arizona United will host Rochester and then next Wednesday, they’ll host the L.A. Galaxy. To see their complete schedule, click here.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain