PHOENIX — It’s a big sports day around the globe, as the World Cup soccer tournament gets underway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Thursday.
“It’s life and death for a lot of people, emotionally,” said Michael Dellorusso, the head coach of the Arizona United Soccer Club. “It’s a very exciting time around the world.”
But just how popular is the World Cup?
“I like to compare it to the Super Bowl and how big people think that is here,” Dellorusso said. “I would say the Super Bowl is about one-tenth of the World Cup, (regarding) what it means to people around the world.”
There will be some great teams to watch during the World Cup.
“Brazil, Spain and Germany are probably the three favorites,” said Dellorusso.
He said that Team USA has a chance for a good showing in the tournament.
“We have a great group of young guys and experienced guys,” Dellorusso said. “We have two out of the top five teams in the world in our group, with Germany and Portugal. I think it’s very important for us to get a result in the first game. Anything can happen from there on out.”
Dellorusso said that some new soccer stars will become stars in this tournament.
“The best part about a World Cup is that it’s when a lot of guys come out of their shell and a lot of new stars emerge,” he said.
Dellorusso also added that you don’t have to go all the way to Brazil to see some great soccer in person this week. At the Peoria Sports Complex on Saturday, the Arizona United will host Rochester and then next Wednesday, they’ll host the L.A. Galaxy. To see their complete schedule, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier