PHOENIX — It’s a big sports day around the globe, as the World Cup soccer tournament gets underway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Thursday.
“It’s life and death for a lot of people, emotionally,” said Michael Dellorusso, the head coach of the Arizona United Soccer Club. “It’s a very exciting time around the world.”
But just how popular is the World Cup?
“I like to compare it to the Super Bowl and how big people think that is here,” Dellorusso said. “I would say the Super Bowl is about one-tenth of the World Cup, (regarding) what it means to people around the world.”
There will be some great teams to watch during the World Cup.
“Brazil, Spain and Germany are probably the three favorites,” said Dellorusso.
He said that Team USA has a chance for a good showing in the tournament.
“We have a great group of young guys and experienced guys,” Dellorusso said. “We have two out of the top five teams in the world in our group, with Germany and Portugal. I think it’s very important for us to get a result in the first game. Anything can happen from there on out.”
Dellorusso said that some new soccer stars will become stars in this tournament.
“The best part about a World Cup is that it’s when a lot of guys come out of their shell and a lot of new stars emerge,” he said.
Dellorusso also added that you don’t have to go all the way to Brazil to see some great soccer in person this week. At the Peoria Sports Complex on Saturday, the Arizona United will host Rochester and then next Wednesday, they’ll host the L.A. Galaxy. To see their complete schedule, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon