PHOENIX — Some Arizonans may soon be paying half price for their medical marijuana cards.
The Arizona Department of Health Services is considering the price drop, because it has some money in the bank.
“We’ve got about $9 million in the medical marijuana fund right now,” said ADHS Director Will Humble. “[Much] of that came in from fees for the medical marijuana registration cards, which are about $150 per year. About $2 million came in from the medical marijuana dispensary applications.”
Humble said that having a system that is mostly automated meant the department’s expenditures for the program were lower than expected, and that’s how they’re able to consider cutting fees to $75 a year, for some people.
Humble listed who would be eligible under the plan.
“Veterans, seniors, people who qualify for federal government programs and also people that qualify for and receive food stamps or SNAP benefits,” he said.
A final decision on the proposal is expected this fall. Humble said that the price drop could happen early next year.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes