PHOENIX — Some Arizonans may soon be paying half price for their medical marijuana cards.
The Arizona Department of Health Services is considering the price drop, because it has some money in the bank.
“We’ve got about $9 million in the medical marijuana fund right now,” said ADHS Director Will Humble. “[Much] of that came in from fees for the medical marijuana registration cards, which are about $150 per year. About $2 million came in from the medical marijuana dispensary applications.”
Humble said that having a system that is mostly automated meant the department’s expenditures for the program were lower than expected, and that’s how they’re able to consider cutting fees to $75 a year, for some people.
Humble listed who would be eligible under the plan.
“Veterans, seniors, people who qualify for federal government programs and also people that qualify for and receive food stamps or SNAP benefits,” he said.
A final decision on the proposal is expected this fall. Humble said that the price drop could happen early next year.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns