PHOENIX — A recent report has the average wealth of an American adult at $301,000, but it isn’t quite telling the whole story.
The report, released by Credit Suisse Global Wealth, ranks the U.S. fourth on the list of average net worth.
But the median wealth of Americans is just shy of $45,000, ranking the U.S. at No. 19 — below Japan, Canada, Australia and much of western Europe, CNN reported.
“Americans tend to think of their middle class as being the richest in the world, but it turns out, in terms of wealth, they rank fairly low among major industrialized countries,” said Edward Wolff, a New York University economics professor who studies net worth.
Part of the discrepancy? The super rich Americans. Those with extreme wealth “skew average wealth upwards.” Of the entire world’s millionaires, 42 percent live in the U.S. and 49 percent of those have over $50 million in assets.
The other reason? The housing market. In many European countries, home ownership is quite high, leading to more assets for European residents. Many “average Americans” were hit hard by the housing collapse, which also led to a drop in median income.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night