PHOENIX — A recent report has the average wealth of an American adult at $301,000, but it isn’t quite telling the whole story.
The report, released by Credit Suisse Global Wealth, ranks the U.S. fourth on the list of average net worth.
But the median wealth of Americans is just shy of $45,000, ranking the U.S. at No. 19 — below Japan, Canada, Australia and much of western Europe, CNN reported.
“Americans tend to think of their middle class as being the richest in the world, but it turns out, in terms of wealth, they rank fairly low among major industrialized countries,” said Edward Wolff, a New York University economics professor who studies net worth.
Part of the discrepancy? The super rich Americans. Those with extreme wealth “skew average wealth upwards.” Of the entire world’s millionaires, 42 percent live in the U.S. and 49 percent of those have over $50 million in assets.
The other reason? The housing market. In many European countries, home ownership is quite high, leading to more assets for European residents. Many “average Americans” were hit hard by the housing collapse, which also led to a drop in median income.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier