PHOENIX — A recent report has the average wealth of an American adult at $301,000, but it isn’t quite telling the whole story.
The report, released by Credit Suisse Global Wealth, ranks the U.S. fourth on the list of average net worth.
But the median wealth of Americans is just shy of $45,000, ranking the U.S. at No. 19 — below Japan, Canada, Australia and much of western Europe, CNN reported.
“Americans tend to think of their middle class as being the richest in the world, but it turns out, in terms of wealth, they rank fairly low among major industrialized countries,” said Edward Wolff, a New York University economics professor who studies net worth.
Part of the discrepancy? The super rich Americans. Those with extreme wealth “skew average wealth upwards.” Of the entire world’s millionaires, 42 percent live in the U.S. and 49 percent of those have over $50 million in assets.
The other reason? The housing market. In many European countries, home ownership is quite high, leading to more assets for European residents. Many “average Americans” were hit hard by the housing collapse, which also led to a drop in median income.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon