PHOENIX — Two Arizona representatives were denied access Wednesday to the detention center in Nogales where unaccompanied minors are being held.
House Speaker Andy Tobin and Majority Whip Rick Gray drove down to the center in Nogales but were then stopped by Border Patrol and refused entry.
The federal agency told the men they had to give a 72-hour notice. Tobin mentioned that Mesa Mayor Scott Smith was granted access earlier that morning.
“I understand what CBP [Customs and Border Protection] is up against, but as the Speaker of the House and member of the Arizona Legislature, it is important to verify how these children are being treated,” said Speaker Tobin in a press release. “My fellow legislators want to know, and denying me access clearly demonstrates what is wrong with Washington.”
Approximately 750 unaccompanied minors are being held at the facility. There have been reports of long holding times and no access to indoor plumbing.
Tobin and Gray did meet with Nogales Mayor Arturo Garino, who had toured the makeshift facility on Monday. He assured them that showers, toilets, medicine and phones were available to the children.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development