PHOENIX — A recent study conducted by lawyers and economists for UCLA revealed that legalizing gay marriage in Arizona would give a major boost to the economy.
One Valley expert, however, says, “not so fast.”
In short, the report revealed that legalizing gay marriage in the state would bring an extra $60 million in revenue and employ approximately 500 people.
But local economist Elliott Pollack, CEO of Elliott D. Pollack and Company, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Wednesday that there’s a flaw in the results.
“That impact study makes the classic error of a lot of impact studies: It’s the gross impact instead of the net impact,” he explained. “In other words, they include money that would have been spent in Arizona anyway.”
Pollack said there are essentially three factors that matter in conducting a study like this.
“If it brings people in from the outside to get married here and they bring in the money and then they leave, that’s a positive impact,” he said. “If it’s money that would have been saved, but they decide to spend it…and if the people might have gone to another state to get married…but they had it here.”
After considering those three factors, Pollack said the report may be way off on its economic conclusions, saying the total impact would “probably be about one-third of what that article represented.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona