PHOENIX — U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.)
told Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson that it was naive to not think lax border enforcement was part of the reason behind the recent flood of unaccompanied minors into the country.
Flake questioned Johnson on Wednesday during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing. Flake added he was disturbed that border patrol agents are being pulled away from their primary job of patrolling.
“How many agents are being pulled away from patrolling to processing the unaccompanied minors and others?” the junior senator said.
Johnson told Flake there was enough manpower for border enforcement duties.
Flake said President Obama needs to make clear that there are consequences to illegally entering the United States.
In the letter to the president, Flake and and Sen. John McCain highlighted lax enforcement of U.S. immigration law as a contributing factor to the increase in the number of unaccompanied children crossing the border.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns