PHOENIX — U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.)
told Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson that it was naive to not think lax border enforcement was part of the reason behind the recent flood of unaccompanied minors into the country.
Flake questioned Johnson on Wednesday during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing. Flake added he was disturbed that border patrol agents are being pulled away from their primary job of patrolling.
“How many agents are being pulled away from patrolling to processing the unaccompanied minors and others?” the junior senator said.
Johnson told Flake there was enough manpower for border enforcement duties.
Flake said President Obama needs to make clear that there are consequences to illegally entering the United States.
In the letter to the president, Flake and and Sen. John McCain highlighted lax enforcement of U.S. immigration law as a contributing factor to the increase in the number of unaccompanied children crossing the border.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon