PHOENIX — A Tucson, Ariz. woman reportedly lost 47 pounds in one day after doctors successfully removed a massive tumor.
According to WBTV.com, patient Marcey DiCaro underwent a 10-hour surgery at the University of Arizona Medical Center to remove the tumor.
The tumor was in DiCaro’s vena cava – which is the body’s largest vein and carries blood from the rest of the body back to the heart. Doctors say if they hadn’t removed the tumor, it would have become even bigger, started to target other organs, and ultimately been fatal.
During the procedure, DiCaro had a heart attack but doctors were able to save her.
“If the tumor had been let go, it would have killed me,” DiCaro said. “The whole team approach was wonderful. I’m happy to be going on walks and getting back in the pool and getting out and enjoying life.”
DiCaro first noticed pain in 2011 and a 2012 scan revealed the tumor. However, she was unable to get health insurance and delayed the surgery until May 2014.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain