PHOENIX — A Tucson, Ariz. woman reportedly lost 47 pounds in one day after doctors successfully removed a massive tumor.
According to WBTV.com, patient Marcey DiCaro underwent a 10-hour surgery at the University of Arizona Medical Center to remove the tumor.
The tumor was in DiCaro’s vena cava – which is the body’s largest vein and carries blood from the rest of the body back to the heart. Doctors say if they hadn’t removed the tumor, it would have become even bigger, started to target other organs, and ultimately been fatal.
During the procedure, DiCaro had a heart attack but doctors were able to save her.
“If the tumor had been let go, it would have killed me,” DiCaro said. “The whole team approach was wonderful. I’m happy to be going on walks and getting back in the pool and getting out and enjoying life.”
DiCaro first noticed pain in 2011 and a 2012 scan revealed the tumor. However, she was unable to get health insurance and delayed the surgery until May 2014.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food