PHOENIX — A Tucson, Ariz. woman reportedly lost 47 pounds in one day after doctors successfully removed a massive tumor.
According to WBTV.com, patient Marcey DiCaro underwent a 10-hour surgery at the University of Arizona Medical Center to remove the tumor.
The tumor was in DiCaro’s vena cava – which is the body’s largest vein and carries blood from the rest of the body back to the heart. Doctors say if they hadn’t removed the tumor, it would have become even bigger, started to target other organs, and ultimately been fatal.
During the procedure, DiCaro had a heart attack but doctors were able to save her.
“If the tumor had been let go, it would have killed me,” DiCaro said. “The whole team approach was wonderful. I’m happy to be going on walks and getting back in the pool and getting out and enjoying life.”
DiCaro first noticed pain in 2011 and a 2012 scan revealed the tumor. However, she was unable to get health insurance and delayed the surgery until May 2014.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths