PHOENIX — Several areas inside the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest have been closed temporarily as of Wednesday morning as a fire-prevention measure.
Cathy Dowd, a spokeswoman with the Forest Service, said the largest closure area is on the Lakeside and Black Mesa Ranger Districts near Show Low, Pinedale, Clay Springs and Linden. Most of this area was the site of the 2002 Rodeo/Chediski wildfire.
The Timber Mesa/Porter Mountain area to the east of Show Low is being closed to protect a communications site that serves most federal, state, county and local law enforcement and private companies. Public safety is dependent upon this communications site.
“This area has several miles of heavily-used trails through forest with a substantial fuel load placing it at higher risk of wildfire,” Dowd said.
The closures will remain in effect until the area gets substantial rainfall, Dowd said.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life