PHOENIX — Members of the Phoenix City Council unanimously passed a proposal on Tuesday that members said was part of a tough stance on human trafficking ahead of the 2015 Super Bowl hosted in Glendale.
The council heard proposals from Mayor Greg Stanton’s Task Force on Human Trafficking that detailed a strategic plan to combat the issue ahead of the big event.
“We want to look at how we can reinforce and support them so they can continue the work,” Katie Resendiz said, “but also share their knowledge with other cities here in the Valley.”
Resendiz is part of the task force and said the hope is that the four-part plan can help reinforce what Phoenix Police has been doing to fight human trafficking.
The plan involves bringing awareness to the issue, training, collaborating with law enforcement and offering victim services, Resendiz said.
Phoenix Vice Mayor Jim Waring said the city is susceptible to human trafficking and it’s an issue that gets highlighted with events such as the Super Bowl.
“It happens 365 days a year but it tends to travel to places with good weather, good transportation and a lot of big events,” he said. “Those are all great things, but we fit the bill on all three.”
He said the proposal included long-term goals for Phoenix’s plan to combat human trafficking.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick