PHOENIX — Members of the Phoenix City Council unanimously passed a proposal on Tuesday that members said was part of a tough stance on human trafficking ahead of the 2015 Super Bowl hosted in Glendale.
The council heard proposals from Mayor Greg Stanton’s Task Force on Human Trafficking that detailed a strategic plan to combat the issue ahead of the big event.
“We want to look at how we can reinforce and support them so they can continue the work,” Katie Resendiz said, “but also share their knowledge with other cities here in the Valley.”
Resendiz is part of the task force and said the hope is that the four-part plan can help reinforce what Phoenix Police has been doing to fight human trafficking.
The plan involves bringing awareness to the issue, training, collaborating with law enforcement and offering victim services, Resendiz said.
Phoenix Vice Mayor Jim Waring said the city is susceptible to human trafficking and it’s an issue that gets highlighted with events such as the Super Bowl.
“It happens 365 days a year but it tends to travel to places with good weather, good transportation and a lot of big events,” he said. “Those are all great things, but we fit the bill on all three.”
He said the proposal included long-term goals for Phoenix’s plan to combat human trafficking.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain