PHOENIX — Members of the Phoenix City Council unanimously passed a proposal on Tuesday that members said was part of a tough stance on human trafficking ahead of the 2015 Super Bowl hosted in Glendale.
The council heard proposals from Mayor Greg Stanton’s Task Force on Human Trafficking that detailed a strategic plan to combat the issue ahead of the big event.
“We want to look at how we can reinforce and support them so they can continue the work,” Katie Resendiz said, “but also share their knowledge with other cities here in the Valley.”
Resendiz is part of the task force and said the hope is that the four-part plan can help reinforce what Phoenix Police has been doing to fight human trafficking.
The plan involves bringing awareness to the issue, training, collaborating with law enforcement and offering victim services, Resendiz said.
Phoenix Vice Mayor Jim Waring said the city is susceptible to human trafficking and it’s an issue that gets highlighted with events such as the Super Bowl.
“It happens 365 days a year but it tends to travel to places with good weather, good transportation and a lot of big events,” he said. “Those are all great things, but we fit the bill on all three.”
He said the proposal included long-term goals for Phoenix’s plan to combat human trafficking.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America