PHOENIX — A dozen Phoenix children are attending a summer camp this week that could help them for the rest of their lives.
A magic show, painting and cooking are just a few of the activities that the kids will be involved in during the two-week-long “Happy Campers” speech camp for kids with Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate. It’s taking place at the Barrow Cleft and Craciofacial Center at St. Joseph’s Hospital.
Juan Maldanado, 12, said he is having fun. What’s his favorite part about it?
“Playing video games, which help us improve our speech,” he said.
Therapist Deborah Leach said that the children attending the camp have been through a lot.
“Most of these children have already had about five surgeries, and are in the middle of their orthodontic care,” said Leach. “They have real challenges because they have a lot of appliances in their mouth. It’s difficult for them to speak. It’s difficult for them to chew. It’s difficult for them to keep their mouth closed and do things the right way.”
Leach said that the goal of the camp is to help improve the kids’ speech so that they can do communicate better.
“Things like interacting with their peers, ordering at a restaurant, doing craft activities. The goal is to get them to speak well enough that they can take their good speech and use it in those environments,” said Leach.
With the camp happening inside the hospital, it’s in a place where the kids are with their peers, and aren’t being bullied by other children. Juan said he likes that.
“Going to camp, I feel the same as everybody else, and you don’t get made fun of,” he said.
The camp runs for the next two weeks and is free to the patients and their families. The Barrow center is the only one of its kind in the Southwest, caring for approximately 6,400 children up to age 21, Leach said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them