PHOENIX — Major changes could be coming to downtown Phoenix’s skyline if a proposal makes its way through the city council.
The proposal seeks a partnership between the city of Phoenix and the public transit department to get the most out of the Central Station land between First and Central avenues, just north of Van Buren.
Eric Johnson, program manager with the city of Phoenix Community and Economic Development Department, said the proposal would add a new feature to the Phoenix skyline.
“The proposal is for a 34-story high-rise tower that would include approximately 475 apartments,” Johnson said. “As well as a parking garage, ground floor commercial space, public transit facilities, co-work space and some other public amenities.”
Johnson said the city’s goal for the project is to continue to vitalize the downtown area.
“We are looking for an iconically-designed building and project to be built at this central location, and we are looking for them to activate the area in downtown by the creation of more residential options, as well as commercial and public transit office space,” Johnson said.
Johnson said the project is seeking $82 million and the city expects that if it is approved it would be completed no later than 2018.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development