PHOENIX — Major changes could be coming to downtown Phoenix’s skyline if a proposal makes its way through the city council.
The proposal seeks a partnership between the city of Phoenix and the public transit department to get the most out of the Central Station land between First and Central avenues, just north of Van Buren.
Eric Johnson, program manager with the city of Phoenix Community and Economic Development Department, said the proposal would add a new feature to the Phoenix skyline.
“The proposal is for a 34-story high-rise tower that would include approximately 475 apartments,” Johnson said. “As well as a parking garage, ground floor commercial space, public transit facilities, co-work space and some other public amenities.”
Johnson said the city’s goal for the project is to continue to vitalize the downtown area.
“We are looking for an iconically-designed building and project to be built at this central location, and we are looking for them to activate the area in downtown by the creation of more residential options, as well as commercial and public transit office space,” Johnson said.
Johnson said the project is seeking $82 million and the city expects that if it is approved it would be completed no later than 2018.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food