PHOENIX — Major changes could be coming to downtown Phoenix’s skyline if a proposal makes its way through the city council.
The proposal seeks a partnership between the city of Phoenix and the public transit department to get the most out of the Central Station land between First and Central avenues, just north of Van Buren.
Eric Johnson, program manager with the city of Phoenix Community and Economic Development Department, said the proposal would add a new feature to the Phoenix skyline.
“The proposal is for a 34-story high-rise tower that would include approximately 475 apartments,” Johnson said. “As well as a parking garage, ground floor commercial space, public transit facilities, co-work space and some other public amenities.”
Johnson said the city’s goal for the project is to continue to vitalize the downtown area.
“We are looking for an iconically-designed building and project to be built at this central location, and we are looking for them to activate the area in downtown by the creation of more residential options, as well as commercial and public transit office space,” Johnson said.
Johnson said the project is seeking $82 million and the city expects that if it is approved it would be completed no later than 2018.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night