A diplomat said conditions inside a facility filled with unaccompanied children who crossed the border illegally are far from livable.
The children are being housed in an old detention center that was reopened after a massive influx of immigrants from Central America caused an overflow at existing facilities.
“They have barbed wire; they have a plastic container,” Tony Banegas told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Tuesday. “That’s what children were in at night. They have a personal blanket that looks like foil paper.”
The Border Patrol has brought in mattresses and showers, but Banegas said conditions are still far from ideal.
“A lot of these children have not been able to take a bath in 12 or 13 days,” he said.
According to Banegas, thus far there are 936 unaccompanied migrant children being housed in Nogales.
Banegas said the goal each day is to place 40 to 60 children in a shelter to go on to be reunited with family. He said that 100 percent of the children in the detention center have some form of family in the U.S.
Although he criticized the facility, Banegas gave credit to officials who are dealing with the surge of people.
“To be fair I am very grateful to Border Patrol,” he said. “They weren’t prepared for this, none of us we’re prepared for this.”
Nogales Mayor, Arturo Garino was not critical of the facility when he spoke to Mac & Gaydos on Monday.
“The facility is well ventilated and well lit… for anyone else this would have been a nightmare but for Border Patrol they’re doing a good job,” said Garino.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident