PHOENIX — Navy Week will officially be making its way to the Valley this spring.
The Phoenix Navy Week, from March 21 to 26, will bring a myriad of free events to the city, including visits by Navy divers and the Explosive Ordnance Team, performances by the Navy band and visits to local schools.
The week-long event will kick off at the Arizona Science Center, where the Explosive Ordnance Team, a team of technical explosives experts, and Navy divers will bring in their gear so kids can come in and interact with the divers.
Ensign Katherine Diener, public affairs officer with the U.S. Navy, said the week-long event aims to bring the Navy into towns that do not have a strong Navy presence.
The Navy is usually concentrated on the East and West coasts, Diener said, and most people who do not live in coastal areas do not see a sailor in uniform.
In addition to the Phoenix Navy Week, several members of the Navy will be in attendance at Cactus League spring training games this year, Diener said.
“(For) a lot of the games, we’ll do the National Anthem, we’ll do a color guard and have our local sailors throw out the first pitch,” she said.
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix data center operations sells for $1 billion
- Kids who are stubborn with food may be more than just ‘picky eaters’
- Looking for ways to support a sexual assault victim? Here’s how
- Main Street Minute: Butcher shop opening in Phoenix neighborhood
- Pregnant woman dies in Phoenix car crash, passenger injured