PHOENIX — An Arizona state representative thinks Gov. Jan Brewer should travel to Nogales, but not on vacation.
Rep. Rosanna Gabaldon said Brewer should take a look a look at the U.S. Border Patrol Youth Detention Center where unaccompanied minors from south of the border are being held.
“The state of Arizona has a moral responsibility for any child that comes into our state, no matter how they get here,” said Gabaldon. “I think it would be good for Gov. Brewer to visit.”
The makeshift shelter is an old commercial warehouse that was converted into a detention center in the 2000s. It was closed in 2009, but reopened last week because of the increase in new youth cases.
Gabaldon and two other Democratic state lawmakers, Rep. Stefanie Mach and Rep. Demion Clinco, toured the facility on Sunday.
Gaboldon said that there are portable toilets there and additional bathrooms, temporary shower trailers and washing machine facilities were being installed.
“It was a swamp cooler and a very hot day,” Gaboldon said. “It was a little bit warm, but not uncomfortable, and the area looked very clean.”
She said it was clear to all three legislators that Border Patrol and Customs Enforcement officials were working to improve the conditions and have the goal of transferring the children to longer term facilities within 72 hours.
Gabaldon didn’t speak with any of the young people, but she did see them.
“The majority of them were male, but we did see some females,” she said. “They looked very scared to me. It was just a very sad situation.”
Brewer’s office said, as of now, she has no plans to travel to Nogales.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick