PHOENIX — Rising water levels at Lake Powell near Page has given rise to high hopes for that area’s economy.
“We’re looking at a banner year. The streets have been busy. It’s looking very good,” Tom Van Meenen with the Page Chamber of Commerce said.
Water is rising a foot each day, thanks to a big snowpack in Colorado that is melting. The city has already seen an influx of boaters. That means plenty of business for motels and restaurants.
The Page economy was hit hard last year on two fronts. First, the landslide that took out a section of Highway 89 just south of town
cut off easy access from Flagstaff for a few months.
Motorists have been using Navajo Route 20, which was paved after the landslide to provide a shorter alternate route than the original from U.S. 160 to State Route 98. Second, the government shutdown in the fall kept visitors away from Page with the Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas closed.
“The city barely made it but we did,” Van Meenen said.
The rising lake levels have also opened up the area known as Castle Rock Cut, between Warm Creek and Wahweap Marina. It’s been inaccessible to boaters for years. Boaters had to go around the Cut, which added an extra hour.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes