PHOENIX — Rising water levels at Lake Powell near Page has given rise to high hopes for that area’s economy.
“We’re looking at a banner year. The streets have been busy. It’s looking very good,” Tom Van Meenen with the Page Chamber of Commerce said.
Water is rising a foot each day, thanks to a big snowpack in Colorado that is melting. The city has already seen an influx of boaters. That means plenty of business for motels and restaurants.
The Page economy was hit hard last year on two fronts. First, the landslide that took out a section of Highway 89 just south of town
cut off easy access from Flagstaff for a few months.
Motorists have been using Navajo Route 20, which was paved after the landslide to provide a shorter alternate route than the original from U.S. 160 to State Route 98. Second, the government shutdown in the fall kept visitors away from Page with the Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas closed.
“The city barely made it but we did,” Van Meenen said.
The rising lake levels have also opened up the area known as Castle Rock Cut, between Warm Creek and Wahweap Marina. It’s been inaccessible to boaters for years. Boaters had to go around the Cut, which added an extra hour.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon