PHOENIX — Rising water levels at Lake Powell near Page has given rise to high hopes for that area’s economy.
“We’re looking at a banner year. The streets have been busy. It’s looking very good,” Tom Van Meenen with the Page Chamber of Commerce said.
Water is rising a foot each day, thanks to a big snowpack in Colorado that is melting. The city has already seen an influx of boaters. That means plenty of business for motels and restaurants.
The Page economy was hit hard last year on two fronts. First, the landslide that took out a section of Highway 89 just south of town
cut off easy access from Flagstaff for a few months.
Motorists have been using Navajo Route 20, which was paved after the landslide to provide a shorter alternate route than the original from U.S. 160 to State Route 98. Second, the government shutdown in the fall kept visitors away from Page with the Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas closed.
“The city barely made it but we did,” Van Meenen said.
The rising lake levels have also opened up the area known as Castle Rock Cut, between Warm Creek and Wahweap Marina. It’s been inaccessible to boaters for years. Boaters had to go around the Cut, which added an extra hour.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths