PHOENIX — The Phoenix police are asking for your help — at the ballot box.
“Public safety starts with officer safety. This is a community safety initiative. This is an officer safety initiative,” Joe Clure, president of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association (PLEA). “We’re asking all citizens of Phoenix to support this measure. We’re asking them to help us protect you.”
The hiring freeze has resulted in 540 fewer officers on the streets now than in 2009, he said.
“All areas of the police department are strained by the impact of the critically low officer staffing issues,” he said.
The initiative would amend a Phoenix city charter by providing for a minimum number of law enforcement hours and limiting cuts to police officers’ pay.
The initiative still needs to gather some 25,000 signatures before it goes to the ballot box.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night