PHOENIX — The Phoenix police are asking for your help — at the ballot box.
“Public safety starts with officer safety. This is a community safety initiative. This is an officer safety initiative,” Joe Clure, president of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association (PLEA). “We’re asking all citizens of Phoenix to support this measure. We’re asking them to help us protect you.”
The hiring freeze has resulted in 540 fewer officers on the streets now than in 2009, he said.
“All areas of the police department are strained by the impact of the critically low officer staffing issues,” he said.
The initiative would amend a Phoenix city charter by providing for a minimum number of law enforcement hours and limiting cuts to police officers’ pay.
The initiative still needs to gather some 25,000 signatures before it goes to the ballot box.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon