PHOENIX — For the third year, the Phoenix Police Department has assembled a summer task force dedicated to curfew violations, underage drinking and associated criminal activity.
This year, Operation Safe Summer will also focus on education, especially making parents aware of the dangers of party crews. Party crews involve gang members and others organizing parties charging entrance fees, which allow people to drink as much as they want.
“You don’t go to a party (thrown) for someone you don’t know, especially in a location that you’re not familiar with,” said Officer James Holmes. “The most innocent birthday party could very easily turn into a tragedy.”
On Apr. 14, 2013, 18-year-old Jason Acosta-Ramos was killed at his own birthday party, along with 16-year-old Elliseo Cantu. Police said several uninvited guests showed up and when Ramos’ father decided it was time for everyone to leave, someone grabbed a gun from a car and opened fire. Holmes said the investigation revealed members of a party crew were involved.
Since many teenagers learn about parties through word of mouth, text messages and social media, police want parents to discuss with their kids the dangers of attending such events.
During last year’s Operation Safe Summer, police said they served 14 search warrants, seized 15 firearms and made 835 arrests.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food