PHOENIX — For the third year, the Phoenix Police Department has assembled a summer task force dedicated to curfew violations, underage drinking and associated criminal activity.
This year, Operation Safe Summer will also focus on education, especially making parents aware of the dangers of party crews. Party crews involve gang members and others organizing parties charging entrance fees, which allow people to drink as much as they want.
“You don’t go to a party (thrown) for someone you don’t know, especially in a location that you’re not familiar with,” said Officer James Holmes. “The most innocent birthday party could very easily turn into a tragedy.”
On Apr. 14, 2013, 18-year-old Jason Acosta-Ramos was killed at his own birthday party, along with 16-year-old Elliseo Cantu. Police said several uninvited guests showed up and when Ramos’ father decided it was time for everyone to leave, someone grabbed a gun from a car and opened fire. Holmes said the investigation revealed members of a party crew were involved.
Since many teenagers learn about parties through word of mouth, text messages and social media, police want parents to discuss with their kids the dangers of attending such events.
During last year’s Operation Safe Summer, police said they served 14 search warrants, seized 15 firearms and made 835 arrests.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life