PHOENIX — When it comes to being generous tippers, older diners come out on top, according to a new survey.
The Harris Poll, conducted on behalf of Michelin, finds 18-34-year-olds are twice as likely to tip less than 15 percent for good service, compared to those 35 and older.
At Copper Star Coffee in Phoenix, baker and barista Corrin Bond isn’t buying the results. She finds older customers are more likely to toss the change in the tip jar, but during her time waiting tables, Bond found younger customers were more generous.
“There are a lot of young waitresses and they knew how it was and so they tipped a lot,” said Bond.
Bond said that people in the Northwest are better tippers than the Southwest, perhaps because “they’re younger and hipper.” The survey finds 27 percent of people in the West and 27 percent in the South admit to usually tipping 15 percent, while only 14 percent of people in the Northeast say they typically tip 15 percent. On average, the survey finds Americans tip 18 percent for good service, while people in the Northeast average 19 percent.
Despite the poll, Bond said you can’t generalize.
“There are some people who are usually more quiet and reserved and they’ll tip a lot,” she said. “There are some people who are really outspoken and engaged and like to talk a lot, and sometimes, they don’t tip.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon