PHOENIX — When it comes to being generous tippers, older diners come out on top, according to a new survey.
The Harris Poll, conducted on behalf of Michelin, finds 18-34-year-olds are twice as likely to tip less than 15 percent for good service, compared to those 35 and older.
At Copper Star Coffee in Phoenix, baker and barista Corrin Bond isn’t buying the results. She finds older customers are more likely to toss the change in the tip jar, but during her time waiting tables, Bond found younger customers were more generous.
“There are a lot of young waitresses and they knew how it was and so they tipped a lot,” said Bond.
Bond said that people in the Northwest are better tippers than the Southwest, perhaps because “they’re younger and hipper.” The survey finds 27 percent of people in the West and 27 percent in the South admit to usually tipping 15 percent, while only 14 percent of people in the Northeast say they typically tip 15 percent. On average, the survey finds Americans tip 18 percent for good service, while people in the Northeast average 19 percent.
Despite the poll, Bond said you can’t generalize.
“There are some people who are usually more quiet and reserved and they’ll tip a lot,” she said. “There are some people who are really outspoken and engaged and like to talk a lot, and sometimes, they don’t tip.”
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee