PHOENIX — A Valley podiatrist wants you to ditch the flip flops this summer, citing a yearly spike in patients complaining of painful conditions or injuries.
“Wearing them often can lead to foot problems, like plantar fasciitis,” said Dr. Kelley Gillroy, podiatrist and assistant professor at Midwestern University in Glendale, Ariz. “It’s a painful condition that develops in people who often wear flip flops, because they provide no arch support or shock absorption. The combination can overstrain the plantar fascia, which is a band of tissue that stretches across your arch.”
In addition to that, foot experts say bone spurs, hip and ankle problems, tendonitis inflammation and even melanoma are risks associated with flimsy flip flops.
“Buy a pair that has a rigid sole (and) that offers arch support, preferably a pair made of high-quality leather,” said Gillroy.
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips