PHOENIX — Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) may be breaking the law by transporting migrant children and leaving them unattended all across the state.
Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery has sent a letter to ICE, calling for federal agency to end the practice, as agents may potentially be committing criminal acts.
“What I’m hoping to do is get this administration to stop until they can make sure that every single adult who they’re sending to a bus station with a minor is, in fact, that child’s parent or legal guardian,” Montgomery told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob and Karie. “Even then, in those circumstances, (making sure) there’s access to food, water, shelter and a means to care for those children.”
He hopes to create an awareness among the federal administration that if this issue continues, they are violating laws against child abuse.
Montgomery said neither he nor his office would “hesitate to seek appropriate punishment” for what could potentially result in a class 4 felony.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths