PHOENIX — People watching a video feed of a woman playing an online
game called authorities to report seeing a home invasion taking place in the
woman’s apartment, police said Monday.
“From behind her, the doors gets kicked in. Two guys come in with guns,”
Pooley said, describing what was reportedly visible on the video feed.
Upon arrival, Tempe police identified one suspect as 27-year-old Edgardo Martinez, who was still in the apartment.
Martinez attempted to flee on foot but was located at an apartment complex near Priest and Elliot. He was taken into custody, along with the second suspect.
The two men broke into the unit at around 5 a.m.
Witnesses who had been playing the online game with the 28-year-old woman called police when they saw the break-in. They said they saw two men with guns break down the door to her apartment.
Gamers called authorities in their areas, trying to get help for the woman.
According to Pooley, authorities elsewhere also got calls from other people who
were watching the video feed and also saw the break-in. He said dispatchers were
trying to pin down details of those calls.
The 28-year-old woman and her 29-year-old female roommate weren’t injured,
according to police.
Martinez was arrested and charged with counts of armed robbery, kidnapping, first degree burglary and theft.
Pooley said he didn’t immediately know the name of the game that the woman was
playing, but Phoenix TV station KTVK reported it was “Dota 2.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon