PHOENIX — The Arizona Attorney General’s office is warning that some residential solar panel systems might not always be the ray of sunshine consumers are looking for.
Attorney General Tom Horne said Friday that intense competition between solar companies has lead some of them into bad business techniques.
For consumers looking to spend the initial investment in solar with the expectation of future savings, Horne said there are some red flags to consumers should be aware of such as over the phone or high-pressure sales techniques.
“Solar is a wonderful new technology but there’s a lot of scamming going on in the selling of solar power,” Horne said. “Especially be aware of people who solicit by telephone and high-pressure sales like if they say you have to decide by today or tomorrow … high pressure is an indication of a scam.”
Horne said high pressure can often push consumers into buying system that might not deliver on promised savings and could end up costing them more than what they were paying without solar.
“That’s one of the complaints is they promise savings that (the consumer doesn’t) in fact experience,” he said.
Horne recommends getting multiple, itemized quotes as well as doing research on companies.
“Check with the Arizona Corporation Commission, the Better Business Bureau, the Registrar of Contractors and avoid the companies that have a lot of complaints against them,” he said.
Horne said his office is investigating some of the companies they have received complaints about but could not disclose any business names.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck