PHOENIX — The Arizona Attorney General’s office is warning that some residential solar panel systems might not always be the ray of sunshine consumers are looking for.
Attorney General Tom Horne said Friday that intense competition between solar companies has lead some of them into bad business techniques.
For consumers looking to spend the initial investment in solar with the expectation of future savings, Horne said there are some red flags to consumers should be aware of such as over the phone or high-pressure sales techniques.
“Solar is a wonderful new technology but there’s a lot of scamming going on in the selling of solar power,” Horne said. “Especially be aware of people who solicit by telephone and high-pressure sales like if they say you have to decide by today or tomorrow … high pressure is an indication of a scam.”
Horne said high pressure can often push consumers into buying system that might not deliver on promised savings and could end up costing them more than what they were paying without solar.
“That’s one of the complaints is they promise savings that (the consumer doesn’t) in fact experience,” he said.
Horne recommends getting multiple, itemized quotes as well as doing research on companies.
“Check with the Arizona Corporation Commission, the Better Business Bureau, the Registrar of Contractors and avoid the companies that have a lot of complaints against them,” he said.
Horne said his office is investigating some of the companies they have received complaints about but could not disclose any business names.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development