A committee will meet this week to talk about how veterans can get better medical care at the V.A. hospital in Phoenix.
This will be the second meeting of the group made up of service organizations, community health providers and members of the Phoenix V.A.. It was called together by Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema last Thursday to try to find solutions to the hospital’s problems.
There are apparently a lot of job openings at the Carl T. Hayden Veterans Hospital in Phoenix.
During a visit to the hospital last Thursday, acting V.A. head Sloan Gibson said the VA needs to fill 300 jobs there, and that it takes about three months to go through the red tape to get someone hired.
Sinema said that is unacceptable.
“We can’t wait for the bureaucratic tape that it will take to hire all of those people,” she said. “In the short term, the V.A. must contract with private providers in the community to insure that we’re providing high quality care in a timely and accessible manner to veterans.”
Sinema said she thinks that one obstacle is that pay for healthcare workers at the V.A. hospital is lower than it would be if they worked at another hospital.
“It’s my hope that the V.A. will exercise some flexibility to offer competitive wages to hire some of the best and the brightest to come in and work at the facility,” she said.
Sinema said that the committee that she has convened will focus on providing for the mental health care of patients. She did not say what day the second meeting will take place.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths