PHOENIX — The Superstition Fire and Medical District responded to a working responded to a mobile home fire Saturday evening in Apache Junction, Ariz., that killed one woman.
Dave Montgomery of the Superstition district said the fire happened on the 600 block of South Cornwall Drive and Apache Junction. He reported the fire had been put out before 9:30 p.m.
A 63-year-old woman who lived alone at the home died in the blaze, Montgomery said. Fire investigators found the blaze originated in an unoccupied bedroom of the single-wide mobile home.
Montgomery said the woman was found in the hallway near the back door. It looked as if she was trying to exit the home, Montgomery said.
“It appears the fire smoldered for some time before it generated enough smoke to be seen from the outside,” Montgomery said.
He added that the woman had a dog that survived the fire and was taken to an Apache Junction animal shelter for care.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas