PHOENIX — The Superstition Fire and Medical District responded to a working responded to a mobile home fire Saturday evening in Apache Junction, Ariz., that killed one woman.
Dave Montgomery of the Superstition district said the fire happened on the 600 block of South Cornwall Drive and Apache Junction. He reported the fire had been put out before 9:30 p.m.
A 63-year-old woman who lived alone at the home died in the blaze, Montgomery said. Fire investigators found the blaze originated in an unoccupied bedroom of the single-wide mobile home.
Montgomery said the woman was found in the hallway near the back door. It looked as if she was trying to exit the home, Montgomery said.
“It appears the fire smoldered for some time before it generated enough smoke to be seen from the outside,” Montgomery said.
He added that the woman had a dog that survived the fire and was taken to an Apache Junction animal shelter for care.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night