PHOENIX — A male bicyclist died Saturday evening in west Phoenix after losing control of his bike and being struck by a large vehicle.
Phoenix Officer James Holmes said 57-year-old Rubin Pina Herrera was traveling westbound on the north sidewalk of Buckeye Road near 24th Avenue around 4 p.m. when he swerved to avoid hitting a telephone pole. Holmes said Herrera lost control of his bike, fell into the roadway and struck the side of a semi-truck that was traveling west on Buckeye Road in the curb lane.
Herrera suffered serious head trauma, Holmes said, and he was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. The Phoenix Police Vehicular Crimes Unit was called to the scene Saturday evening, Holmes said.
Holmes added that the driver of the truck remained at the scene and was evaluated, but officers found no indications of impairment.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food