PHOENIX — A helicopter belonging to the Mesa Police Department experienced an engine failure early Sunday morning and crashed into a field in the nearby town of Gilbert, Ariz.
Mesa Sgt. Tony Landato said the engine failure occurred in an MD500 helicopter just before 1 a.m. He said there were two pilot-officers on board, but both were uninjured after the aircraft hard impact landed just south of Harris Drive and Baseline Road into an alfalfa field on a resident’s farming property.
The two officers were 90 minutes into a patrol shift near the Gilbert-Mesa border when the helicopter’s engine failed, Landato said.
Landato said the tail section of the rotorcraft snapped off during impact.
“These pilots did an outstanding job and we are very fortunate we are not reporting something more tragic,” the sergeant said.
Landato said the two officers had 10-15 seconds between engine failure and impact.
He said no civilians or structures were injured or damaged in the crash.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development