PHOENIX — A helicopter belonging to the Mesa Police Department experienced an engine failure early Sunday morning and crashed into a field in the nearby town of Gilbert, Ariz.
Mesa Sgt. Tony Landato said the engine failure occurred in an MD500 helicopter just before 1 a.m. He said there were two pilot-officers on board, but both were uninjured after the aircraft hard impact landed just south of Harris Drive and Baseline Road into an alfalfa field on a resident’s farming property.
The two officers were 90 minutes into a patrol shift near the Gilbert-Mesa border when the helicopter’s engine failed, Landato said.
Landato said the tail section of the rotorcraft snapped off during impact.
“These pilots did an outstanding job and we are very fortunate we are not reporting something more tragic,” the sergeant said.
Landato said the two officers had 10-15 seconds between engine failure and impact.
He said no civilians or structures were injured or damaged in the crash.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America