TEMPE, Ariz. — It was 70 years ago Friday that American soldiers landed in France on D-Day. A survivor of that invasion told his story today to a group of people at University of Phoenix offices in Tempe.
George Pillman was a young Navy Lieutenant on D-Day. He steered a landing craft filled with soldiers toward Omaha Beach that day. He said that the soldiers were confident heading into the assault.
“It was not like we were going in there with the idea that we were going to get killed or something,” he said. “We went in with idea that we’re going to do our job and make the ship perform according to what was expected from us.”
Pillman’s job was to drop Army soldiers off on the beach, then steer the boat to an area off shore. None of his crew members were killed.
“That’s one thing that I was proud of,” he said, “that we were able to do what we did and not have any serious problems.”
Realizing that thousands of soldiers died during the D-Day invasion, Pillman made a promise to honor them. Pillman now talks about D-Day at schools and civic organizations.
“A lot of guys didn’t make it,” Pillman said. “I should live my life according to what they would be proud of. I should try to help the country preserve the way of life that they expect, and that they died for.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon