PHOENIX — A day after it was believed DHS would stop transporting migrant families from Texas to Arizona, a spokesman for Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer says that is not the case.
Andrew Wilder tells KTAR they expect the drop-offs and transporting to continue.
“The State of Arizona connected and spoke with federal officials this afternoon and got information from DHS, FEMA, ICE, both locally and nationally that contradicts that information.”
Wilder said ICE has no immediate plans to stop the operation in the foreseeable future. He also disputed reports there were no unaccompanied minors arriving in the state.
“Today alone, June 6, 432 unaccompanied minors are being transported and arriving in Arizona,” Wilder said. “Tomorrow, June 7, [there will be] 367.”
The DHS began transporting hundreds of undocumented immigrants from southern Texas to Arizona over the Memorial Day weekend and then releasing them at Greyhound bus stations in Tucson and Phoenix.
DHS officials say the U.S. Border Patrol didn’t have the manpower to handle a surge in immigrants from Central America crossing the border illegally in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer sent a letter Monday to President Barack Obama, saying she was alarmed that federal officials didn’t notify state and local law enforcement.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon