Unemployment, health care and housing, oh my! It looks like heat isn’t the only thing Arizonans need to chill out about these days.
According to the real estate website, Movoto, Arizona was ranked 10th-most stressed state.
Movoto took six factors into account when ranking each state: Percentage of population with a commute over 20 minutes, unemployment, hours worked, population density, percentage of income spent on housing and percentage of the population without insurance.
While Arizona ranked relatively low for population density and hours worked, they nearly topped the list in the remaining four categories.
Arizona’s highest stress factors come from a lack of health care and long commutes. According to the survey 20.4 percent of people in Arizona don’t have health care and 57.7 percent have long commutes.
Movoto’s Chief Armchair Economist Chris Kolmar was surprised by Arizona’s placement on the list.
“Arizona … seems like a state that just minds its own business. I mean, sure, it’s like one million degrees all the time, the haboobs can kill you, and scorpions are waiting to end your life, but those weren’t the direct criteria we were measuring.”
The rest of the top 10 ranked as such: Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, California, Nevada, Illinois, New York, Maryland and North Carolina.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night