PHOENIX — Fundraising efforts are underway to help the family and squad members of two Valley police officers who were killed in the line of duty.
“He was pretty much the family’s sole provider,” Erin Morgan of the Arizona Law Enforcement Emerald Society, a nonprofit organization, said of fallen Salt River Police Officer Jair Cabrera. “To lose him is going to create a huge hardship for his parents.”
Cabrera’s fellow officers and friends designed a T-shirt, which is being sold online for $20. All proceeds will benefit his parents.
ALEES is also raising money to help send the squad members of fallen Phoenix Police Detective John Hobbs and Detective A.J. Casados, who was injured in the shooting that killed Hobbs.
The squad wants to go to the National Law Enforcement Memorial in Washington, D.C next year when Hobbs’ name will be added to the memorial wall.
“The 100 Club will send the family to the memorial in D.C., but the squad would have to pay for it on their own,” said Morgan. “His squad was very close and it’s been very traumatic for them, that’s why they want to be a part of it.”
Hobbs’ squad members commissioned a limited-edition coin to honor him and is available online for $20.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development