PHOENIX — When it comes to boozing it up, Arizona is right in the middle of the U.S. pack.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism is out with a report based on the amount of alcohol Arizonans consumed in 2012.
Arizona came in at No. 22, averaging 2.4 gallons of alcohol consumed per person a year. The average American downs 2.33 gallons of alcohol each year. Beer leads.
Nearly all the states (43) increased imbibing, with the West leading the way. Nevada came in at No. 5 at 3.27 gallons.
The only states to decrease were Alaska, Indiana, Missouri, Nevada, Tennessee, West Virginia. New Hampshire also consumed less, which is ironic because the “Live Free or Die” also leads the nation with the average person consuming 4.6 gallons of alcohol each year.
Utah finished last.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain