Tucson Sector Border Patrol seized more than four tons of marijuana late Wednesday night at a checkpoint along State Route 90 near Whetstone, Ariz.
The drugs were packed into a semi-truck and livestock trailer and they were valued at more than $2 million.
The seizure began around 8 p.m., when Sonoita Station agents alerted Willcox agents of the suspicious vehicle.
A news release from U.S. Customs and Border Protection revealed more.
A tractor-trailer carrying livestock approached the primary inspection area where agents noticed the ventilation holes in the upper compartments of the cattle hauler were plugged. Further inspection led to the discovery of 188 bundles of marijuana and a pistol. The driver was arrested. The marijuana, firearm and tractor-trailer were turned over to the Drug Enforcement Administration.
Border Patrol agents in the Tucson sector have now seized more than 772,000 pounds of marijuana since the beginning of the 2014 fiscal year.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments