The Arizona Army National Guard is taking a giant step to battle suicides in the military.
Maj. Gabe Johnson with the Arizona National Guard says they’re enhancing the current suicide prevention program, which is called ACE.
“Our experts have gone down to Fort Huachuca to get some training about going through some specific scenario type situations, so you’ll end up having to go through some role playing,” Johnson explained.
ACE stands for ask, care and escort. Its purpose is to establish steps soldiers can take to prevent suicides.
The revised program is called, ACE-SI (the suffix standing for suicide intervention) and it goes beyond listening to a briefing and having some small group discussion, according to Johnson.
“Being able to put people into scenarios where they have to act out how they would approach someone who may be struggling, who may be having thoughts of suicide or thoughts of hurting themselves, going through a time of crisis,” he explained of the program.
Last month, 15 Guard members — the first to be trained in the state — attended the six-hour training. Starting in the fall, the ACE-SI graduates will begin teaching the new model to junior soldiers.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas