PHOENIX — In the same week that Banner Estrella Medical Center opened a new floor in their maternity ward, the hospital also welcomed a milestone in the number of births at the hospital.
A new postpartum ward opened at the hospital on Monday, then on Wednesday it welcomed newborn Emerson Jacobs, the 30,000th delivery at Banner Estrella.
Emerson Jacobs’ parents, Amanda and Michael Jacobs, said their son was born a little early and it was a surprise that he turned out to be such a special number for the hospital.
“We actually thought that he was 29,999,” she said. “Then the ladies came in and they let us know that we actually indeed were the 30,000th baby and so we were ecstatic.”
The couple’s doctor, Florian Walter, chief of staff and OB/GYN at Banner Estrella, has been at the hospital since it opened in 2005 and also delivered the Jacobs’ first child. He said the hospital is on par for double the amount of birth that most hospitals have in the first 10 years.
“Most hospitals at about the 10-year mark are hoping to do about 15,000 deliveries,” he said. “We’re at 30,000 (and) part of that has to do with just the area where we are, young families that have moved into the west Valley and begin to grow their families.”
The Jacobs’ said they’re glad to be going home and readjusting to their suddenly-grown family. Amanda said she’s certain they’ll be back, though.
“We plan on having a third baby. I know it’s a little early to say that (because) I haven’t even left the hospital,” she said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them