PHOENIX — In the same week that Banner Estrella Medical Center opened a new floor in their maternity ward, the hospital also welcomed a milestone in the number of births at the hospital.
A new postpartum ward opened at the hospital on Monday, then on Wednesday it welcomed newborn Emerson Jacobs, the 30,000th delivery at Banner Estrella.
Emerson Jacobs’ parents, Amanda and Michael Jacobs, said their son was born a little early and it was a surprise that he turned out to be such a special number for the hospital.
“We actually thought that he was 29,999,” she said. “Then the ladies came in and they let us know that we actually indeed were the 30,000th baby and so we were ecstatic.”
The couple’s doctor, Florian Walter, chief of staff and OB/GYN at Banner Estrella, has been at the hospital since it opened in 2005 and also delivered the Jacobs’ first child. He said the hospital is on par for double the amount of birth that most hospitals have in the first 10 years.
“Most hospitals at about the 10-year mark are hoping to do about 15,000 deliveries,” he said. “We’re at 30,000 (and) part of that has to do with just the area where we are, young families that have moved into the west Valley and begin to grow their families.”
The Jacobs’ said they’re glad to be going home and readjusting to their suddenly-grown family. Amanda said she’s certain they’ll be back, though.
“We plan on having a third baby. I know it’s a little early to say that (because) I haven’t even left the hospital,” she said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier