PHOENIX — In the same week that Banner Estrella Medical Center opened a new floor in their maternity ward, the hospital also welcomed a milestone in the number of births at the hospital.
A new postpartum ward opened at the hospital on Monday, then on Wednesday it welcomed newborn Emerson Jacobs, the 30,000th delivery at Banner Estrella.
Emerson Jacobs’ parents, Amanda and Michael Jacobs, said their son was born a little early and it was a surprise that he turned out to be such a special number for the hospital.
“We actually thought that he was 29,999,” she said. “Then the ladies came in and they let us know that we actually indeed were the 30,000th baby and so we were ecstatic.”
The couple’s doctor, Florian Walter, chief of staff and OB/GYN at Banner Estrella, has been at the hospital since it opened in 2005 and also delivered the Jacobs’ first child. He said the hospital is on par for double the amount of birth that most hospitals have in the first 10 years.
“Most hospitals at about the 10-year mark are hoping to do about 15,000 deliveries,” he said. “We’re at 30,000 (and) part of that has to do with just the area where we are, young families that have moved into the west Valley and begin to grow their families.”
The Jacobs’ said they’re glad to be going home and readjusting to their suddenly-grown family. Amanda said she’s certain they’ll be back, though.
“We plan on having a third baby. I know it’s a little early to say that (because) I haven’t even left the hospital,” she said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night