PHOENIX — Extreme fire danger is forcing a weekslong closure of the Fossil Creek area.
The Coconino and Tonto National Forests will put the closure in place at 8 a.m. Friday. Affected areas will be Fossil Creek, Fossil Springs, Childs and the Fossil and Hackberry mountain area, which borders sections of the Verde River and State Route 260.
Brady Smith, a spokesman for the Coconino National Forest, said the area is some of most rugged country in the state and a wildfire would spread quickly there.
“If that happened and people were in that area it would very dangerous for those people. It’s basically one way in and one way out and gets crowded very quickly,” Smith said.
Individuals not adhering to current fire restrictions played a role in the decision to close the area until fire danger, Smith said. The closure is expected to last for several weeks until monsoons moderate extreme fire potential. A wildfire in the Fossil area could also become a major threat to homes.
An information hotline has been set up at 928-226-4611.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night