PHOENIX — Extreme fire danger is forcing a weekslong closure of the Fossil Creek area.
The Coconino and Tonto National Forests will put the closure in place at 8 a.m. Friday. Affected areas will be Fossil Creek, Fossil Springs, Childs and the Fossil and Hackberry mountain area, which borders sections of the Verde River and State Route 260.
Brady Smith, a spokesman for the Coconino National Forest, said the area is some of most rugged country in the state and a wildfire would spread quickly there.
“If that happened and people were in that area it would very dangerous for those people. It’s basically one way in and one way out and gets crowded very quickly,” Smith said.
Individuals not adhering to current fire restrictions played a role in the decision to close the area until fire danger, Smith said. The closure is expected to last for several weeks until monsoons moderate extreme fire potential. A wildfire in the Fossil area could also become a major threat to homes.
An information hotline has been set up at 928-226-4611.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development