MESA, Ariz. — It was a day to remember for one Valley family on Wednesday.
What was supposed to be a day of shopping and a special lunch turned out to be so much more.
Michelle Phillips was excited to be at the Bass Pro Shops store in Mesa. She was told that her sister-in-law had won a contest at Country Thunder, the country music festival in Florence, Ariz., and that a shopping spree at the store was part of the prize.
“They set it up that she won this thing at Bass Pro (Shops), and I got to come as her guest to watch it happen,” Phillips said.
Phillips’ entire family was invited, and as part of the “contest,” they would get to have lunch with a surprise celebrity.
Some members of the family thought it might be a country music star, since the prize was won at Country Thunder. Others thought it would be comedian and actor Tim Allen, based on an Internet search that told them Allen was recently in the Phoenix area and is a spokesman for Bass Pro Shops.
“I was voting for ‘Duck Dynasty,'” said Phillips. “When they said it would be a celebrity guest at Bass Pro (Shops), that’s who I was voting for was anybody from the ‘Duck Dynasty’ cast.”
Mesa Mayor Alex Mintor and City Councilman David Luna had the honor of revealing the “celebrity.”
When the time came, it was no movie, music or TV star that stepped out when Luna opened the door. Instead, it was Phillips’ husband, U.S. Navy Second Class Petty Officer Shawn Phillips, home after serving eight years in the military.
Phillips served in various places.
“I’ve been to Afghanistan, Bahrain, Japan, Maryland,” he said.
He’s spent the past two and a half years in Washington state, where Michelle has been able to visit him. But his three kids — James, Sophie and Charlotte — haven’t seen their dad for several months. Now, he’s home for good.
“I am so happy to be home,” Phillips said. “I’ve missed everybody here — my wife, my kids. Obviously, they’ve missed me a little bit, too.”
His 8-year-old son James can vouch for that.
“He’s been gone a long time,” he said.
The surprise was all set up by Michelle’s sister-in-law, after she learned Phillips was leaving the military.
Phillips’ mom, Liz Calhoon, was in shock and crying after the surprise.
“I am in my seat and the councilman opens the door, and…there’s my son!” she said. “I am so pleased that he is home. We’re so proud of my son.”
Phillips plans to go back to school and pursue a law enforcement career, but first, he wants some home cooking, while James wants some time with his dad.
“I want to go fishing,” he said. “My dad has a little fishing boat.”
As for Phillips wife, it doesn’t look like she is too disappointed that she didn’t get to meet any of the Robertson family from “Duck Dynasty.”
And when asked who was better, Willie Robertson or her husband?
“Oh, my husband!” she laughed.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas