PHOENIX — With temperatures hitting 130 degrees this week inside Tent City, America’s Toughest Sheriff has taken measures to make sure inmates don’t suffer from heat exhaustion.
“It may be a little hot for the inmates, but we try to do the best we can by distributing more water, some ice, sunscreen,” said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Fans are no longer permitted inside the tents, because Arpaio says they’ve been damaged in the past.
“We can lift up the flaps of the tents to get a little more air in there,” he said.
Tent City will celebrate its 21 years of operation in August, but MCSO said the number of heat-related illnesses among inmates have been miniscule.
And when he gets complaints about the heat, Arpaio always likes to bring up the military.
“Our military are living in tents fighting for our country in the Middle East. It’s probably just as hot in Iraq and Afghanistan. I used to work that area,” Arpaio said. “If you don’t like the heat, don’t violate the law.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night