PHOENIX — With temperatures hitting 130 degrees this week inside Tent City, America’s Toughest Sheriff has taken measures to make sure inmates don’t suffer from heat exhaustion.
“It may be a little hot for the inmates, but we try to do the best we can by distributing more water, some ice, sunscreen,” said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Fans are no longer permitted inside the tents, because Arpaio says they’ve been damaged in the past.
“We can lift up the flaps of the tents to get a little more air in there,” he said.
Tent City will celebrate its 21 years of operation in August, but MCSO said the number of heat-related illnesses among inmates have been miniscule.
And when he gets complaints about the heat, Arpaio always likes to bring up the military.
“Our military are living in tents fighting for our country in the Middle East. It’s probably just as hot in Iraq and Afghanistan. I used to work that area,” Arpaio said. “If you don’t like the heat, don’t violate the law.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.