PHOENIX — The University of Arizona is home to a new supercomputing system, thanks in part to a $1.3 million grant from the National Science Foundation.
It’s called the Extremely Large Advanced Technology system, otherwise known as “El Gato.”
“El Gato was ranked as the 336th most powerful computer on Earth,” said Assistant Astronomy Professor Brant Robertson. “It’s about 150 teraflops of power.”
The power makes the machine a math whiz.
“A teraflop means that it can do one trillion additions or multiplications per second,” Robertson said. “So El Gato can do 150 times a trillion calculations per second.”
Robertson said El Gato is about the size of three refrigerators and astronomers will be using it to study a lot of things.
“We’re interested in the formation of galaxies,” he said. “We’re interested in the evolution of the universe, and large scale structures in the universe. We’re interested in the motions of gas within the galaxy, star formation, and matter on super massive black holes.”
Robertson said the astronomy department won’t be the only ones using El Gato.
“Thirty percent of the time, it will be available to anyone who does research at the University of Arizona,” he said, including both faculty and students.
El Gato was installed at the UA Research Data Center late last year.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy