PHOENIX — The interim head of the Veterans Administration will be in Phoenix Thursday to inspect changes after the agency was rocked by a scandal.
Acting Secretary of Veterans Affairs Sloan Gibson will visit the Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center in Phoenix to see how changes are being implemented and to meet with various staffers and politicians.
The VA, especially in Phoenix, has been a source of ire for the nation after it was revealed secret wait lists were used to simulate low wait times for veterans while leaders collected bonuses. In reality, veterans were waiting more than 100 days for an appointment and some had yet to be seen by a primary care physician.
The former secretary, Gen. Eric Shinseki, resigned last week shortly after firing several Phoenix administrators.
On Thursday, Gibson said each of the 1,700 Phoenix veterans awaiting care had been contacted.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night