PHOENIX — The interim head of the Veterans Administration will be in Phoenix Thursday to inspect changes after the agency was rocked by a scandal.
Acting Secretary of Veterans Affairs Sloan Gibson will visit the Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center in Phoenix to see how changes are being implemented and to meet with various staffers and politicians.
The VA, especially in Phoenix, has been a source of ire for the nation after it was revealed secret wait lists were used to simulate low wait times for veterans while leaders collected bonuses. In reality, veterans were waiting more than 100 days for an appointment and some had yet to be seen by a primary care physician.
The former secretary, Gen. Eric Shinseki, resigned last week shortly after firing several Phoenix administrators.
On Thursday, Gibson said each of the 1,700 Phoenix veterans awaiting care had been contacted.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments