PHOENIX — The interim head of the Veterans Administration will be in Phoenix Thursday to inspect changes after the agency was rocked by a scandal.
Acting Secretary of Veterans Affairs Sloan Gibson will visit the Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center in Phoenix to see how changes are being implemented and to meet with various staffers and politicians.
The VA, especially in Phoenix, has been a source of ire for the nation after it was revealed secret wait lists were used to simulate low wait times for veterans while leaders collected bonuses. In reality, veterans were waiting more than 100 days for an appointment and some had yet to be seen by a primary care physician.
The former secretary, Gen. Eric Shinseki, resigned last week shortly after firing several Phoenix administrators.
On Thursday, Gibson said each of the 1,700 Phoenix veterans awaiting care had been contacted.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy